A comprehensive review of market opportunities & solutions, economics & business strategies within the booming market for electricity storage.
- Speak the language of electricity storage: terminology and concepts explained
- Understand the key variables determining the economics of electricity storage projects
- Review current and emerging market opportunities for electricity storage
- Learn and discuss how financial returns and risks will arise in the electricity storage market
- Be better able to converse with storage project partners, suppliers or investors
- Know what to look for when evaluating electricity storage market opportunities
- Be better able to identify key investment and project performance risks
- Learn how to analyse and critique electricity storage business models
Who Should Attend
- Renewable Energy Project Developers and Investors
- IPPs and EPCs
- Government, Academia and Research professionals
- Industrial energy users
- Banking and Finance
- Electricity Distribution and Grid Management companies
- Energy Storage Systems providers
- Battery Manufacturers
- RE Project equipment, technology and systems providers
KEY CONCEPTS IN ELECTRICITY STORAGE
- Metrics and measures, such as levelised costs of energy & storage (LCOE, LCOS): calculation and critique.
- Drivers for storage on different scales and timeframes (from sub-second to ‘bulk’).
- The short and long-term impacts of evolving electricity supplies on electricity systems (balancing supply & demand).
- The fundamentals of any storage business model: cost, energy in, energy out, energy vs capacity, price.
- Comparing the applications of storage: which problems are solved, what value is added and where?
GRID-CONNECTED STORAGE APPLICATIONS
- Understanding the patterns and scales of variability in electricity systems.
- Key grid system operational requirements and metrics.
- An explanation of “ancillary service” markets (such as frequency response) and the opportunities for storage.
- Specific operational impacts of renewable and distributed power generators in different parts of the grid.
- Renewable power integration
- Timescale and market segmentation: contrasting the technical and business requirements from large-scale bulk storage to fast-moving ancillary services.
ELECTRICITY STORAGE SOLUTIONS
- Storage technologies explained and compared in their business context, including emerging innovations.
- The options for storing energy from electricity (including non-battery): current and emerging, large and small.
- The key practical attributes of storage; including density, efficiency and scalability.
- Deployment status and examples, including: pumped hydro (traditional and new gravity storage innovations), compressed air, flywheel, hydrogen.
FOCUS ON BATTERY STORAGE
- A review of battery technologies (trends and futures), including Lithium-ion and flow batteries.
- Why is Li-ion dominating market deployments?
- Trends in cost and performance
- Key operational considerations for battery storage; including sizing, cycling lifetimes, warranties, charging rates and more.
- Emerging trends and revolutions in battery technology
- Batteries vs fuel cells
- A review of potential business cases for storage, including the role of “revenue stacking”.
- Investment considerations (costs & returns) for energy storage projects, including
- bankability issues such as storage service contract lengths and operational lifetimes.
- Who will pay for storage (and do they capture all its value)?
- Long-term economic and policy drivers, plus examples of short-term policy incentives.
- Project deployment issues, including various contractual, permitting and other practical
- hurdles (such as operational limitations of batteries).
- Trends in storage costs (and understanding what these numbers actually measure).
- Using simple Excel models to examine and illustrate the variables in an energy storage business case
MARKET DEPLOYMENT – FRONT-OF-METER
- A case study & example-driven session, providing illustration and discussion of business drivers, deployment aspects and market lessons from in-grid and utility-scale storage
- The implications of large-scale storage for power generators, utilities, DSOs and TSOs.
- The integration of storage with existing infrastructures and business offerings.
- Updated deployment case studies will include examples of: co-location with renewable
- power, standalone storage projects, fossil/storage hybrids.
MARKET DEPLOYMENT – BEHIND-THE-METER
- A case study & example-driven session, providing illustration and discussion of business drivers, deployment aspects and market lessons of grid-edge, aggregated and residential storage.
- The implications of distributed, small-scale energy storage for power generators, utilities,
- DSOs and TSOs.
- The integration of storage with existing infrastructures and business offerings, such as
- PV system sales.
- Updated deployment case studies will include examples of: solar + storage, storage
- aggregation at both residential and commercial scales, standalone commercial storage.
- Grid-connected electric vehicles
THE EVOLUTION OF ENERGY STORAGE & THE COMPETITIVE ALTERNATIVES
- Challenges to storage within current energy policy mechanisms.
- Challenges to storage within current energy market and contracting structures.
- Emerging and integrated/hybrid technologies
- System Interconnection
- Demand Management
- Flexible capacity supply
- Energy storage vs. energy substitution (e.g. power-to-heat and power-to-fuel).
CLOSING DISCUSSION: THE BUSINESS OF ELECTRICITY STORAGE
- Reviewing the energy storage business: market players, business models, competition, the value chain, opportunities, threats, risks and returns.
- Closing discussion & conclusions.
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.