Key Learning Outcomes
- What is the current status of the industry
- What is likely to happen in the coming 5 years
- Detailed understanding of supply/demand, network dynamics, consolidation, network design and optimisation
- How to understand scale and pricing in liner shipping
- What are the opportunities for differentiation
- Why are we at the “end game” now for the mega carriers
- Why will a number of niche carriers disappear in the coming years
Who Should Attend
- Shippers and Cargo Owners
- Shipping Lines and Carriers
- Port & Terminal Operators
- Container Leasing Companies
- Ship Agents
- Anyone engaged in liner shipping
What past participants have said about our Maritime Courses:
“Very informative and real life examples provided”
– Kristal Thian, Shipping Ops Executive, Total Oil Asia-Pacific Pte Ltd
“I learnt new things/ knowledge”
– Sashi Indhiran, Legal Counsel, Sumitomo Chemical Asia Pte Ltd
“Real life cases are introduced, relevant to my work and to learn and gain better understanding, detailed & comprehensive notes”
– Quek Shu Yu, Chartering / Shipbroking – Dry Cargo, KZ Maritime Pte Ltd
“Highly knowledgeable speaker, relevant course for my job”
– Yosua Iskandar, BMS Coal Sales Pte Ltd
- What is liner shipping?
- What are the core drivers in liner shipping?
- What are the available data sources – and how credible are they?
- How to understand supply
- How to understand demand
- The complexities arising from network dynamics when measuring market balance
- Modelling past and present supply/demand balance
- How to forecast supply and demand developments?
- Freight rate developments
- Can pricing be linked to supply/demand balance?
- The impact of rate increases
- Understanding rate erosion
- The use of game theoretic models
- The dynamics of price wars
- Pricing and yield management
- The impact of network pricing models
- The problem of contract non-enforceability
- The problem of balancing yield optimization and sales KPIs
- The two types of scale advantage in liner shipping
- The importance of vessel size
- The importance of network size
- Network design and optimization
- How to calculate single liner string economics
- How to calculate network economics
- Balancing three core components: Network cost, flow of full containers, repositioning of empty containers
- The strategic opportunities and choices for the carriers
- Why do the carriers seemingly choose the same strategies?
- Viable niche strategies
- The impact carrier strategies and developments will have on terminals
- The impact carrier strategies and developments will have on cargo owners
- The impact carrier strategies and developments will have on forwarders
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.