Key Learning Outcomes
- Gain a practical commercial understanding of contract law principles in plain English
- Develop a working knowledge of key legal terms in contracts & the thinking behind them
- Understand the legal & commercial impact of specific terms & conditions
- Appreciate the legal effect & risks that come with each contract
- Learn to identify legal & contractual issues in contracts
- Gain a foundation for the successful negotiation of contracts
- Be well-equipped to understand, explain & manage business contracts
- Identify problematic clauses in contracts
- Identify legal risks in a commercial transaction
- Make better commercial decisions, with a better understanding of contract law
- Communicate more effectively with executives handling contracts
Who Should Attend
Directors, managers, executives, businessmen, deal makers ,contract negotiators, contract managers, customer account managers & relationship managers, project managers, supplier and procurement managers, and anyone who has to negotiate, manage, transact with, or resolve disputes with third parties.
Prior legal or experience with contracts is not required.
Upon completion of this training course, participants will earn a digital badge.
Earners of Fundamental Contract Law Certificates have acquired principal knowledge of contract law and are effective in negotiating, managing, transacting or resolving disputes with third parties or instructing their legal advisors. They have been trained to better interpret and draft key legal clauses in contracts and appreciate the legal & commercial impacts of specific terms & conditions. They also have the ability to identify problematic clauses in contracts, legal risks and make better commercial decisions in contract negotiation and formation.
contract law, contract negotiation, contract drafting, contract formation, boilerplate clauses, commercial contracts, dispute resolution, dispute handling, commercial transaction, legal clauses, terms and conditions, contract interpretation, contract types, non-disclosure agreements, sale and purchase, IP licenses, RFP, quotations, purchase orders, electronic contracts
Attend and participate in the 2 full days of training course duration, led by the designated training expert
FORMING AND NEGOTIATING CONTRACTS TERMINATING CONTRACTS AND SPECIFIC CONTRACTS
1. OVERVIEW OF CONTRACTS
- What is a contract?
- Why are contracts necessary?
- How are they formed?
- Common types of contracts.
- Contract life cycle.
2. PARTS OF A CONTRACT (WORKSHOPPED USING AN ACTUAL CONTRACT)
- Parties and identification
- Preamble, background and purpose
- Mutual obligations
- Terms, performance and mechanics
- Execution and formalities
3. VALIDITY OF A CONTRACT
4. NEGOTIATIONS (WORKSHOP)
- Establishing outcomes
- Relative bargaining positions
- Identifying points of conflict and points of agreement
- Win-win vs positional negotiation
5. BREACH OF CONTRACT (WORKSHOP)
- Types of breach
6. TERMINATING A CONTRACT (WORKSHOP)
7. SPECIFIC CONTRACTS AND THEIR ISSUES
- Implied contracts
- Electronic contracts
- Quotations, Purchase Orders, Invoices, Delivery Orders
- Requests for Proposals and Tenders
- Counter-part agreements
- Letters of Intent, Memoranda of understanding
- Sale and purchase agreements
- IP Licences
- Non-disclosure agreements
On-site & in-house training
Deliver this course how you want, where you want, when you want – and save up to 40%! 8+ employees seeking training on the same topic?
Talk to us about an on-site/in-house & customised solution.